SUMBAWA is an Indonesian Island with volcanic ridges, terraced rice fields and sheltered bays. Scar Reef is the main attraction as far as waves go in West Sumbawa. Super consistent swell from April to October and SE trades mean offshore most days and swell almost everyday. Super Suck, and Yo Yo’s are also in the area where Yo Yo’s get most of the swell. Only south swell penetrate here as the west swells are blocked by islands.
From October the wind shifts more W-NW until March. This is when its best to head to Central Sumbawa. Lakey Peak, Lakey Pipe, No Mans , Nungas, Periscopes and Cobblestones are the most popular breaks in the area. All within 45 min walk or 10 min motorbike ride. Download the diurnal tide chart so you know when the big tide is going to give the shallow reefs enough cover.
– Not as culturally rich as Bali if no surf
– Can get crowded during peak season in Central Sumbawa
– Many cheap accommodation options in Central Sumbawa
– Boat charters are better for West Sumbawa due to poor roads
– Usually hustlers looking to scam you at the popular areas
– Much quieter and cleaner than Bali
– Take all boards and equipment with you
– Diurnal tides